Monday, September 8, 2014

Paper Cut Progession

Here are a few shots while working on a paper cut project in which I constructed three sculptures entirely out of card stock paper, without any use of adhesive.

 
Initial inspiration for figure piece: 

 
 
Following in class critique of our pieces, I modified the structure of my figure:
 



 
I decided that creating a front mask-like face would add depth to the piece:
 


 
Resulting in my final figure piece:


 
 
Next I began to work on my shadow box piece:
 


 
Once I had created a basic box form, I began to add details for the middle ground of my piece:

 
 
I created my globe, sun, and moon figures from separate pieces of card stock, and added these elements to create a background and foreground in my piece:
 

 

Finally, I began to work on my satirical take on our sculpture of "home", creating an iPhone to represent how our lives are run by the use of electronics. I created a hand to serve as the "landscape" for this piece, to provide the viewer with more context. I added figures of individuals crawling out of the top of the phone, which could be read either as our society being trapped by being so wrapped up in the use of our technological devices, or it could be taken as a useful tool with which we can connect with loved ones that live far away.


 
Finally, my work resulted in the three figures depicted below:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment