Thursday, September 25, 2014

Relief Architecture Analysis

     In this piece, I decided to merge both modern and art nouveau architectural styles. The stacking of the boxes in my piece is a common mode of construction in modern architecture, while the geometric strong patterns which I thread through the openings of each box mirrors the clean, abstract lines found in this styles.
     One of the common pieces which drew me to the art nouveau style was the intricate spiral staircases. I knew that I wanted to include a staircase in my piece, but I struggled with how to execute it properly and where to include it in my piece. At first I began to create a staircase out of card stock paper, but wasn't happy with it being white in color as opposed to to being made out of wood. The final solution that I found was to use a wooden dowel as the support, then adding nails in a spiral, adding string to connect all of the "steps". By combining these sturdier materials, my staircase was capable of supporting my entire piece while achieving a more industrial aesthetic.
     After mounting my piece on the wall, I decided that I desire more width in my work. I achieved this by creating a sun dial motif with string coming from the case of my piece that attached to the wall. In an attempt to make the adhesive I used to mount the string more aesthetically appealing, I cut the masking tape I used into triangles. In this way, I was able to transform a functional part of my piece into a design element.
     Overall, what I enjoyed most about this assignment was how transformative my piece was. I liked the fact that I was forced to respond to new elements, such as the wall. Due to this fact, I feel I was forced to think more innovatively and creatively as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment